Home   News   Article

Eastgate Vets in Bury St Edmunds urges pet owners to be vigilant this Easter after cockador Bailey is treated for chocolate poisoning

A vets surgery in Bury St Edmunds has urged dog owners to be vigilant this Easter after a peckish pup who guzzled a packet of chocolate raisins had to have emergency treatment.

Eastgate Vets, in Cotton Lane, had a visit from 15-month-old cockador Bailey and his owner Christine Glancy last month after Bailey started showing signs of illness.

Christine, who lives near Nowton Park, said that until she was told by the vet, she had no idea of the dangers that raisins and chocolate can pose to pets.

Christine Glancy with daughter Aimee Glancy, 11, Bailey the cockador and Catherine Wynne, head nurse at Eastgate Vets (8609073)
Christine Glancy with daughter Aimee Glancy, 11, Bailey the cockador and Catherine Wynne, head nurse at Eastgate Vets (8609073)

"Bailey must have a really keen sense of smell as it doesn't take him long to notice food," she said.

"We were really worried when the vets said that raisins could potentially be fatal."

After receiving treatment, Bailey was put on a drip and monitored for two days.

"Bailey is now back to his former self and we will be making sure all temptation is out of reach, particularly with Easter coming up," said Christine.

Eastgate Vets have warned pet owners that Easter time can pose several dangers to animals if they are exposed to certain foods and flowers.

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is toxic to pets and can cause heart problems, hyper excitability and fits, with the darker chocolate posing the biggest risk.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea and increased heart rate.

Raisins can also be deadly, while the a traditional Sunday dinner can cause gastroenteritis and risk of choking.

Moreover, lilies are poisonous to both cats and dogs, with spring flowers such as daffodils, crocuses and tulips posing a risk to dogs.

Catherine Wynne, head nurse at Eastgate Vets, said: "Whether it's caused by well-meaning owners treating their pets with chocolate, or chocolate accidentally left within their reach, we see a lot of dogs suffering from chocolate poisoning at this time of year."

She added: "The safest option is to keep chocolate and sweets locked away, well out of reach of pets.

"Even the most well behaved pets can be tempted to steal food so make sure they can't get access to the tops of cookers or kitchen worktops."


  • Chocolate contains theobromine and can cause hyperactivity, seizures, and an elevated heart rate in dogs. Keep Easter eggs out of reach from your dog.
  • Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are all toxic to dogs and it is believed the dried forms of these fruits are more toxic than grapes. Keep hot cross buns well away from your dogs.
  • Sweets that contain the sugar substitute xylitol, a sweetener, is toxic to dogs and cats. It can cause problems such as seizures and liver failure
  • Easter lilies are pretty but cats have a tendency to chew on them. These flowers are toxic to cats and can cause vomiting and lethargy.
  • Stuffed cuddly toy bunnies and chicks and plastic toys can be chewed or swallowed by pets, causing choking or blockages.
  • Do not give your pet lamb, turkey or chicken bones and be vigilant about the stealing from the Easter dinner table.
  • Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain that it has on people - but it takes a lot less to hurt your dog.
  • Daffodils, tulips and crocuses are toxic to pets, especially if dogs dig up and eat the bulbs.
  • Be cautious giving your pet scraps from the table. Rich, fatty foods can result in vomiting or diarrhoea and high fat meals can lead to an increased risk of pancreatitis, a painful and serious condition.
  • Keep onions and garlic - powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated - away from your dog. They can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and anaemia.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More