UPDATE: Firefighters put out house fire on Howard estate in Bury St Edmunds
Firefighters have successfully tackled a house fire on the Howard estate in Bury St Edmunds.
Three fire engines were called to the house, in Prigg Walk, at around 9.15am.
Neighbours reported seeing black smoke billowing across the road.
Family friend Janette Brabrook said: “I noticed black smoke puffing out and going all over the road, and the top of the kitchen door was melted. That was when I started to panic.”
Next-door neighbour Gary Taylor noticed smoke seeping from his skirting boards before going to investigate.
“There was quite a bit of smoke,” said the painter and decorator, who was at home after a night shift.
“Two of us kicked the door down but it was too bad, we couldn’t get in.”
An ambulance crew, a paramedic and two rapid response vehicles from the East of England Ambulance Service were called at around 9.35am
The ground floor of the property was said to be well alight and the fire also spread to the first floor.
No one was in the house at the time the blaze started. A woman, believed to be one of the homeowners, was treated at the scene for shock but did not need to be taken to hospital.
Fire crews had the blaze under control by 10.35am.