Travellers move on from Moreton Hall in Bury St Edmunds

News
News
0
Have your say

A group of travellers who pitched up onto park land on Moreton Hall in Bury St Edmunds last week have now moved on.

A spokesman for St Edmundsbury Borough Council confirmed the group left the site, near Sainsbury’s, at around 6pm last night.

But Moreton Hall Borough Councillor Frank Warby said the travellers had left the area in a poor state.

He said: “There’s human waste, used toilet paper, soiled pads, a meal just chucked down in its container, a 40 inch television box, big bags of rubbish, beer bottles everywhere.

“That field is a beauty spot, it is also a good dog walking area.

“I am more concerned for the people who live around there.

“We are abiding with their human rights but they are not abiding by the human rights of the people who live nearby.

“I am happy with the outcome of getting the travellers off the site but I am not happy they got there in the first place.

“We are very thankful of the borough council for cleaning up the area.”

Travellers first moved onto St Andrews car park in Bury St Edmunds, which is subject to a court injunction banning illegal occupation of the site, on Tuesday night.

They later moved to the site on Moreton Hall, which is also covered by the injunction.
Cllr Warby said although the injunction had worked, more needed to be done to stop travellers returning to the spot.

“The injunction doesn’t stop them going on, it just means we can get them off quicker,” he said.

“Normally they’re there for two weeks but because of the injunction they were off within four days.

“Hopefully we can get some barriers in the way to stop them getting on it.

“We need three wooden stakes put in the ground so caravans can’t get past.”