Two people hurt in horrific crash

editorial image
Have your say

TWO people in their 60s are recovering in hospital after a horrific crash which left one man trapped under a car in Albert Crescent, Bury St Edmunds on Saturday.

Emergency services were called to the corner of King’s Road and Albert Crescent at about 3.30pm after two pedestrians were involved in an accident with a small black hatchback car.

A man was released from under the front of the car by fire crews. The air ambulance attended and both the man and the woman – who was treated by paramedics on the side of the road – were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge.

The woman was said to have life-threatening injuries, although she is now in a critical but stable condition and police have said she is improving. Police said the man had life-changing injuries, but his condition is now described as serious but stable.

A 23-year-old man was arrested in Queen’s Road shortly after the accident. He was taken to Bury police station on suspicion of assault, dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to provide a breath test. He has been released on bail to return to Bury police station on February 8.

John Darby, 82, of King’s Road, was first on the scene of the accident. He said: “The woman was laid on the floor and all I could see was a white face. She was saying ‘please someone help me’.”

People living nearby praised the actions of a young trainee nurse at West Suffolk Hospital, known only as Charmaine, who helped the injured woman while waiting for paramedics.

Cyril Hoddy, 91, of King’s Road, said: “She was brilliant, she deserves a bit of praise.”

Residents in the area have since raised concerns about the safety of the road.

Amanda Hardy, 45, who lives in the house where the car ended up in the garden, said: “I think the council need to address what measures they are going to make. We want to be able to feel safe in our own garden.”

Miss Hardy believes speed bumps could provide the answer to the road safety.