The Chairman of Trustees of the Mix youth project said he is ‘over the moon’ that planning permission has been granted to replace the building’s Victorian frontage.
On October 25, Suffolk County Council’s Developmental Control Committee approved plans to tear down the existing front and replace it with a modern exterior.
Chairman of Trustees, John Shaw, said now the matter will be sent to the Secretary of State for communities and local government to be rubber stamped.
He said: “It is great news - we are over the moon that common sense has prevailed.
“We now just have one small obstacle ahead.
“Because The Mix is in a conservation area it must be sent off to be signed off by the minister.
“Previously the Town Council, District Council and County Council have said the benefits of replacing the front far outweigh the benefit of keeping it.
“The fact is if money had been spent on the front of the building, it couldn’t have been spent on equipment and facilities.”
The £5 million youth project in Stowmarket is expected to be completed in March 2013.
But Mrs Shaw said there may still be delays in getting the plans the green light.
“The rest of the building we are expectimg to open by the end of March.
“The only question is how much delay will be built into the issue of the frontage.
“But I expect we will be wanting to use the back end of the buildingbefore the front is finished. We are just happy that the long saga seems to be coming to an end.”
A Suffolk County Council spokesperson said: “The planning application was approved by Suffolk County Council’s Development Control Committee last Thursday.
“The next stage is for it to go to the Secretary of State for communities and local government for conservation area consent.”