The Angel Hotel in Bury St Edmunds was evacuated this morning after reports of a smell of smoke.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service attended following a call at 7.10am.
Two crews from Bury carried out the necessary checks at the hotel and found that it was a false alarm.
The hotel’s operations director Lynn Cowan said: “It was a minor scare so we called the fire brigade. It was to do with an electrical fault. There was smoke so we did the right thing and called the fire service out.”
Guests, who had been taken to wait in The Athenaeum, were allowed to return to the hotel at around 8.45am.
Ms Cowan said: “We work very closely with our neighbours and it was fantastic that they opened the doors for us. It was fully appreciated, and the fire service were great too, as always.”