A Bury St Edmunds scout group has celebrated 70 years in the town.
The 6th Bury St Edmunds group took part in a special anniversary service on Sunday to mark the occasion at St Mary’s Church.
This was taken by the Rev Malcolm Rodgers and during the service the new standard for the cubs was blessed and dedicated.
Past scouts attended as well as District Commissioner Keith Barber. Afterwards people were invited to tea at The Athenaeum.
The 6th Bury was formed in January 1946. It arose out of the Better Britain Brigade formed by the Church Army with a Bury branch being inaugurated as far back as 1923.
Due to World War Two the brigade had trouble finding leaders and it was decided to disband the organisation and seek affiliation with the scout and guide movement.
The emerging scout group in Bury had six 11-year-old scouts under the leadership of Douglas Whitewick, a past brigade leader. A cub pack began at the same time with Miss Mabel Hammond as Akela.
The scouts met at various places in the town and in the early 60s a seven-year building project started on its College Lane headquarters which opened on February 25 1967 having cost £3,615 3s 11d.
The group, which included girls from 1990, has provided fun, adventure and guidance to young people from its present meeting until today without interruption.
Today 70 young people enjoy activities and there are 15 adult helpers. The group’s numbers grew after the 10th Bury group disbanded.
Group Scout Leader David McNeill said: “We want to encourage children to do things for themselves and as team members. It’s about teaching independant and social skills.” Contact them at Facebook “70 years of 6th Bury Scouts”.