RESIDENTS of a close knit community are in shock today after a ferocious fire devastated a picture perfect family home.
A total of 10 fire engines and around 80 fire-fighters were called to the scene, in Brettenham Road, Hitcham, last night.
Crews attended from Stowmarket, Needham Market, Hadleigh, Elmswell, Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury, Nayland, Princes Street, Haverhill and Ixworth.
The home owners were in when the fire started. They spotted smoke coming from their thatch roof when they stepped outside at around 11pm to bring their pet cat in for the night.
Group commander Dave Pedersen, among the crews still on site today, said the roof was completely alight and the fire had spread to all of the bedrooms by the time crews arrived.
He said: “The crews worked tirelessly but the task was primarily to salvage the people’s possessions. It was rescue what we could and then tackle the fire.”
He praised villagers who rallied around to help where they could.
For full story, see Friday’s Bury Free Press.