Teenager who played role in Bury St Edmunds flour and eggs attack sentenced at Ipswich Magistrates' Court
A teenager who was part of a group of thugs who attacked a vulnerable woman with flour and eggs in Bury St Edmunds has been sentenced.
The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause another harassment, alarm or distress at a trial at Ipswich Magistrates' Court last month.
Five other teenage boys admitted their role in the 'humiliating' attack, which took place in the Howard playing fields in the town on July 27, at an earlier hearing in November.
The verdict came after the court was told that the boy, who said he arrived at the park after the flour and eggs were thrown, was one of four boys photographed posing with the woman cowering on the bench - an image which was shared worldwide on social media.
Speaking from the witness box in February, the 49-year-old victim, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and anxiety, said that she was 'shocked' by the events and 'felt harassed'.
Appearing at the same court today, the teenager was sentenced to a reparation order which will see him carry out 24 hours of work through the youth service for a period of three months.
He was also ordered to pay the victim £150 in compensation as well as £620 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
Defending, Chris Casey said: "He accepts that his actions were wrong and said he would like to meet the lady face to face and say to her that what he did was wrong.
"He accepts that being there was encouraging other people in their behaviour."
On passing the sentence, presiding magistrate David Broughton said: "Get this reparation order out of the way, get on with your life and we don't want to see you back in this court again."