Suspended prison sentence for Bury St Edmunds man who carried out ‘creepy’ harassments

Court news
Court news
Have your say

A Bury St Edmunds man who failed to accept when his ‘on off relationship’ had ended harassed his ex-partner with unwanted visits, emails and phone calls.

Alan Clive Bartrum, 39, of Olle Close, Bury, pleaded guilty to harassment without violence at Bury Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

Ian Devine, prosecuting, said Bartrum and Wendy Stone were in a relationship from October 2013 until April 15, 2014, when Miss Stone ‘decided she had had enough’.

‘He didn’t take it particularly well’ and ‘wouldn’t stay away from her home address,’ visiting sometimes at ‘odd times’, he said.

Bartrum even showed up at Miss Stone’s friend’s house looking for her and waited outside her daughter’s school at collection times. He also continued to call and text Miss Stone, and took a bike from her garden shed while her son was at home, said Mr Devine.

“When she checked the shed, things were a mess where they had been pulled over or knocked over while Bartrum was present,” he said.

Bartrum also pleaded guilty to burglary and breach of a conditional discharge.

In mitigation, Declan Gallagher said Bartrum had received long term treatment for anxiety and stress and was ‘not developed emotionally in the way we’d expect’.

He added: “He has a lack of perception and a lack of understanding over how to behave at the end of a relationship.”

Mr Gallagher said the stolen bike was one Bartrum had given to Miss Stone’s son, which he had wanted to take back when he was ‘feeling hard done by’.

He urged magistrates to avoid sending Bartrum to prison, saying he was vulnerable in custody and had been beaten up and had boiling water poured over his foot when imprisoned previously.

Sentencing Bartrum to 12 weeks imprisonment suspended for 12 months, presiding magistrate Barry Ellis said: “This is a very creepy series of separate harassments and because of that we find this matter so serious that only custody is appropriate.”

Bartrum was given 12 months supervision and a three month curfew.

He was also issued with a restraining order and ordered to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £80.