Suffolk's education champions to be announced at awards ceremony in Ipswich
An annual awards ceremony is being held to celebrate educational achievements throughout Suffolk.
The Raising the Bar Awards 2019 will be held on Wednesday, July 10 from 4.30pm until 7pm at Wherstead Park in Ipswich.
The ceremony will consist of 10 awards, which will be presented across four categories, for children and young people, teachers, staff and volunteers working in education, schools and education settings.
The event will feature Suffolk’s County Music Service with performances from their String bands, and an inspirational interview with Hayley Long – an award winning writer of teen fiction and non-fiction who grew up in Suffolk.
Hundreds of nominations were sent in by people across the county. These were narrowed down to the shortlisted finalists and the winners were selected by a panel of expert judges.
Cllr Gordon Jones, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, Education and Skills said: “I am immensely proud of the Raising the Bar programme and this event. With education results in Suffolk improving faster than those nationally, there is much to celebrate.
“These awards are a chance to say well done to pupils and students who have really worked hard, overcome barriers or inspired others. It also gives staff the opportunity to say thank you to those working in early years, primary, secondary, post-16 and SEND education who are going the extra mile and who deserve recognition for this.”
The sponsors for this year’s awards are Vertas, Schools’ Choice, Opus Teach, The Suffolk Primary and Secondary Headteachers’ Associations, Suffolk Safeguarding Children Board, Suffolk County Music Service and The Source.
Finalists from West Suffolk include:
- Inspirational Young Person of the Year Award – Early Years and Primary: Manny Smiley from St Mary’s Academy in Mildenhall
- Inspirational Young Person of the Year Award – Secondary: Martha Cooper from Horringer Court Middle School in Bury St Edmunds
- Inspirational Young Person of the Year Award – Post-16: Joanna Brawn from Westley Middle School in Bury St Edmunds
- Inspirational Young Person of the Year Award – Apprenticeships: Kayleigh Elmer from West Suffolk College in Bury St Edmunds
- Educational Leader and Setting of the Year Award – Early Years: Jenny Snape from Little Teapots Preschool in Chedburgh
For further information onthe raising bar programme:www.suffolk.gov.uk/children-families-and-learning/raising-the-bar