Stanningfield rallies to revamp its village hall
Stanningfield Village Hall has been given a new lease of life thanks to an all-round community effort to raise £16,500.
Some of the work was even done by the villagers themselves on the hall which has been part of village life since it was given to the village in 1929 by the Rev Edward Teviotdale as a church hall,.
It was eventually bought by the parish council. They lease it to the Stanningfield Community Association.
The original hall was a wooden structure with wooden cladding, to which a rendered concrete extension was added in 1997 housing a kitchen and toilets.
It was beginning to look rather tired so Bradfield Combust with Stanningfield Parish Council decided it was time for a makeover and the fund raising started.
The community association, along with the art and bowls clubs and the village’s Red House pub raised £6,500.
The village’s county councillor Terry Clements gave £2,000 from his locality budget, which enabled them to apply for a Suffolk Empowering Communities Grant, which gave another £4,000.
Borough councillor Sara Mildmay-White pointed them towards The Rural Grants Imitative Scheme and St Edmundsbury’s family and communities officer Helen Lindfield helped them get another £4,000 grant from the scheme.
The work included insulating foam in the walls, which was done by volunteers from the village and parish council. Plastic cladding and new double-glazed windows were then done by the Bury St Edmunds company BEK Plastics.
Clive Mears from the parish council said: “It was a great community effort.”
Future plans include a veranda and barbecue gazebo.