shock at death of Chorister

Have your say

BURY St EDMUNDS’ cathedral community has been shocked by the sudden death of a 12-year-old chorister.

Ranulph Edward Morgan-Gooch, known as Edward, was pronounced dead at West Suffolk Hospital last Wednesday after an incident at his home in Wickhambrook.

St Edmundsbury Cathedral set aside its Lady Chapel for the family and friends of the St James Middle School, Bury St Edmunds, pupil.

East of England Ambulance Service said it was called to a cardiac/respiratory arrest at his home and paramedics fought to revive him.

Edward was the son of barrister and recorder (part-time judge) Christopher Morgan and his wife Julia Gooch, who works for a firm of Newmarket solicitors. Mr Morgan, whose chambers are in London’s Temple law district, specialises in prosecuting and defending murder, sexual offences, fraud and large drug conspiracies.

The family did not want to comment but the cathedral’s Dean Frances Ward said: “He was a lovely, happy 12-year-old.

“Edward enjoyed life immensely. We will all miss his enthusiasm and passion for singing, his cheerfulness and his lively and inquisitive personality.

“The cathedral community is supporting Edward’s family in their grief, as well as other choristers, choir members and choir parents.

“Please hold Edward’s parents, Chris and Julia, Edward’s sister Charlotte, nephew Peter and other family members and friends, the choir and the school in your prayers.”

Edward became a probationer with the choir in February 2009 and made chorister that September. He was baptised last year and confirmed earlier this year in the cathedral.

St James’ headteacher Paul Elstone declined to comment.

A notice on the church school’s website said: “The school was saddened by the shocking news of Edward’s death.

“He was a lively and cheerful pupil who had contributed much, especially to the musical life of the school. He will be sadly missed by staff and pupils alike.”

Suffolk Police said they were not treating Edward’s death as suspicious. His inquest was formally opened and adjourned on Wednesday, after which his parents visited the Lady Chapel.