School in Bury St Edmunds celebrates opening of new classroom block
Sebert Wood Primary School in Bury St Edmunds has just opened its brand new classroom block after taking in its first cohort of year five pupils.
MP Jo Churchill cut the red ribbon on year five and six’s new home at a ceremony last Friday joined by teachers, pupils, parents and governors.
Opening the new block, Mrs Churchill said it was a great example of how you can get things done when you work together.
Addressing the children, she said: “ I hope you have everything you need in your new home for this year and next and that you leave it tidy for the children coming through after you.”
Headteacher Peter Dewhurst said he was delighted with the school’s new building.
“We have four classrooms here, a group room and a studio,” he said.
“We are really pleased with how the whole project has turned out.
“Our next job is to set it up for year six - we will have 120 pupils using it at full capacity.
“That will be the whole SOR project completed.”
As part of the build an oak tree planted to mark the millennium, with a time capsule buried underneath, had to be removed.
The time capsule was dug up and moved and a new sapling and plaque unveiled.
Denise Humphreys, who supplied the original oak 15 years ago said she was happy the capsule had been saved.
“It feels much better knowing the time capsule is safe.
“I so am pleased the school has invited me along to be part of today’s opening.”