Home   News   Article

Retired Bury teacher may have had cardiac arrest while choking


A retired teacher may have suffered a cardiac arrest as she choked on a piece of meat, an inquest has heard.

Joan Stevens, 78, was resuscitated by paramedics at her sheltered home in Crispin Court, Bury St Edmunds, on February 2 but died in hospital two days later.

An inquest in Bury on Tuesday heard how Miss Stevens managed to activate an alarm as she began to choke.

Development manager Graham Williams said in a statement how he went to her aid, moving her onto the floor and trying to revive her.

Miss Stevens was treated by paramedics and taken to West Suffolk Hospital’s intensive care unit at, where she remained until she died.

The inquest heard pathologist Dr Carol Kaminska’s post mortem revealed Miss Stevens may have suffered a cardiac arrest while choking and concluded death was due choking and brain injury.

Assistant Suffolk Coroner Yvonne Blake recorded a conclusion that Miss Stevens had choked on food, causing a cardiac arrest and, later, death.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More