Home   News   Article

Renewed calls for sustainable travel plan for Bury St Edmunds to cope with housing influx




Traffic on Rougham road ENGANL00120131010091256
Traffic on Rougham road ENGANL00120131010091256

Councillors have renewed longstanding calls for a travel plan to help mitigate the impact of 5,900 new homes in Bury St Edmunds.

They are calling on Suffolk County Council bosses to come up with a sustainable travel plan for the whole town to combat the expected influx in traffic associated with the major development.

Bury Vision 2031 logo ENGANL00120120102104109
Bury Vision 2031 logo ENGANL00120120102104109

As part of St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s Vision 2031 framework for growth, there will be five strategic housing sites. A report commissioned by the borough and county examined potential traffic calming solutions for four A14 junctions and seven roundabouts – but there have been repeated calls for a full plan for the town.

These were renewed at the Bury Our Place Forum on Monday where Cllr Mary Evans, the county’s assistant cabinet member for highways, said the plans would become clearer as each development came forward. She said they were looking at measures such as encouraging people not to use their cars.

After the meeting, county and borough councillor Sarah Stamp said that last year they were assured county council officers would arrange a summit to discuss the plan early this year, which hasn’t happened despite frequent chasing by all four of Bury’s county councillors.

County and borough councillor Trevor Beckwith said: “Throughout the process I’ve said ‘tell me how it’s going to work’. I’m not getting answers.” County and borough councillor David Nettleton said: “They haven’t got a strategy – that’s quite clear, so they’re doing piecemeal work which they say will resolve the issues. I don’t think they believe it themselves.”

County councillor Mark Ereira-Guyer said: “There must be a level of despair about the adequacy of the council’s response to this.” Borough councillor Diane Hind said: “We need to have a sensible and coherent plan. As for saying get on your bike or buses it isn’t the right strategy on its own – it’s only a very small part.”

During the meeting Borough councillor Paul Hopfensperger called for a plan for a ‘proper cycling system through Bury’.

A county council spokeswoman said it would be better placed to develop traffic mitigation when more detailed proposals come forward from developers. She said it was working to identify areas for improvement for pedestrians, cyclists and buses. It has also obtained £2.25 million from the New Anglia LEP, supported by £500,000 county transport funding, for sustainable transport improvements in Bury.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More