Councillors have approved plans for 1,250 home development in Bury St Edmunds despite concerns over a reinstated travellers’ site.
At a meeting of St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s full council some members aired concerns about the proposed traveller’s site, on community woodland at Rougham Hill, which had been reinstated into the plans despite earlier being removed.
A planning application for a travellers’ site at the woodland was refused in February because the masterplan had not yet been approved.
It forms part of the South East Bury St Edmunds Strategic Development Site, which was approved by the council on Tuesday on a vote of 39 to three.
Cllr Sarah Stamp said: “I recognise the need for us to provide a site, but I would ask why out of all the sites in the town, indeed in the borough, was this site identified for the provision of gypsy and traveller accommodation?
“I do not understand why the south east site specifically has been highlighted.”
Cllr Pat Warby said: “The council has twice built such accommodation in close proximity to this proposed site, which leads me to think it is not the right site.”
Cllr Alaric Pugh, cabinet member for planning and growth, said the final position of the site ‘will be determined by the planning process’.
He said: “I worry that the debate on this masterplan is focused on just one element.
“I hope everyone can see it is an excellent proposal for the sort of facilities a modern growing town is going to need.”