Pheasant chicks killed in Wattisham farm fire
Pheasant chicks died in a fire involving propane cylinders at a farm last night.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to a fire at Boxtree Farm, in Bildeston Road, Wattisham at 8.02pm.
Five crews attended the fire which involved propane cylinders in a field used for keeping pheasants.
A fire service spokesman said: "The fire had spread to several of the pheasant pens.
"A perimeter was set around the incident and (crews) dampened down the surrounding areas to ensure that the fire did not spread further.
"Crews stayed on site fighting the fire, monitoring the cylinders and making the cylinders safe for removal.
"Unfortunately, despite their best efforts, crews were unable to rescue the pheasant chicks involved in the fire."
The stop time for the fire was 21.29pm.
More by this authorPaul Derrick
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)