Emergency services were called to an ‘explosion’ in Bury St Edmunds yesterday (February 19).
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service received reports of ‘flames and a loud bang’ at a property in Abbot Road at 1.40pm.
A spokeswoman for the service said: “The fire was caused by a resident in the road working on a motorcycle – petrol leaked into the drains, ignited that and lifted up the concrete.”
Two crews from Bury were sent to investigate what happened, but the fire was already out by the time they arrived.
Police were called by the fire service at around 1.45pm to reports of an ‘explosion’ at a house in Abbot Road. It is thought three police cars attended.
The road was blocked and a diversion was put in place from 2pm.