Paynter keeps fine run going

Have your say



Mildenhall Town 2 Woodbridge 1

SUBSTITUTE Owen Paynter’s late strike settled an entertaining game and continued Mildenhall’s recent rise up the table.

With just five minutes remaining, the tireless Alex Steed won possession and released Andrew Wood, whose square pass was stabbed home by his fellow striker to seal a victory that for long periods had looked unlikely in an indifferent display.

Woodbridge started the better and enjoyed plenty of territorial advantage in the first half, but Ben Seaman was unable to convert their clearest chance when he headed wide.

Hall put together few moves of note, but did manage to carve out two decent opportunities for Wood which the top scorer was unable to finish.

Shortly after the break, the visitors took a deserved lead when Seaman made amends for his earlier miss by collecting Paul Berry’s clever pass to fire home. And five minutes later Seaman was sent clear again, but this time Josh Pope spread himself well.

This was the catalyst for a fightback from the hosts, who finally started to apply some concerted pressure, and they were rewarded when Wood squeezed a deflected effort into the far corner to equalise.

Entering the final stages, the match became very open, flowing from end-to-end as Pope twice denied Allicion Blake while Paynter and Wood were both foiled at the other end. But the pair soon combined to make it three wins in four for Mildenhall.


Stowmarket Town 1

Godmanchester Rovers 4

THE loss of three points to league leaders Godmanchester Rovers will not hit Stow as hard as having to do without Liam Woodhouse and Chris Gray in the coming weeks, after both were dismissed in an ill-tempered final five minutes.

Stow fell behind to an angled drive from top scorer Paul Bass, which gave Carl Pearson no chance.

However, the Old Gold and Blacks battled back to equalise through Kieren Joseph’s spot-kick awarded for a foul on Gray.

Stow were level for just two minutes before Michael Hyem was allowed too much room to curl a shot in via the underside of the bar.

Pearson twice denied Bass but was left helpless on the hour mark when Rovers’ top scorer found the top right corner with a perfect free-kick.

Michael Hyem grabbed his second of the afternoon to consolidate Goddy’s position at the top.

With Bass hitting the bar and the visitors missing a host of chances, the match could have petered out. However, Liam Woodhouse’s dangerous tackle on Chris Hyem sparked a melee which saw a straight red for the midfielder and, as the ill feeling continued, Gray received a second yellow after tangling with Michael Hyem a few minutes later.