Pair taken to hospital after fire rips through thatched cottage

Have your say

Two people were taken to West Suffolk Hospital last night after a fire engulfed a village thatched cottage.

The pair suffered smoke inhalation as firefighters battled to save the cottage, in Poy Street Green, Rattlesden.

Nine fire engines, an aerial appliance, water carrier and command unit rushed to the incident following a call at about 5.12pm.

The thatched roof and first floor were ‘fully invloved in fire’ and there was a partial roof collapse at 5.47pm.

The incident was under control by 8.49pm with a salvage operation and hotspotting due to continue for some considerable time.

A reinspection of the property was due to be carried out today.