Mildenhall church’s back to the future fund-raising calendar
St Mary’s Church in Mildenhall has dipped into the past to help ensure its future.
To raise money towards maintaining the structure of the church, some of which dates back to the 13th century, members of its congregation and the community have come together to produce a 2016 calendar featuring old pictures of Mildenhall with similar views today.
The photos are of the High Street. Mildenhall Union Workhouse which stood where the police station now stands, St. Andrew’s Street, Mildenhall Railway Station, Market Place, Police Station Square, North Terrace, Wamil Way, the east end of Kingsway (originally Half Moon Corner)and Kingsway.
Naturally, there are also pictures of the interior and exterior of St Mary’s Church.
The old pictures were supplied by Mildenhall Museum and modern ones were taken by Brenda Carey, a member of the Parochial Church Council, who also helped computer service provider John Wallis design the calendar.
Brenda said: “All proceeds from the calendar will be used in the upkeep of this marvellous building.
“There is always something that needs attention. We are sometimes able to find grants, but otherwise we are reliant totally on donations and gifts.”
The calendars are £4.50 each or five for £20. They are available at church services and events, or in the Cottage Rooms opposite the church on Fridays from 11am to 3pm.
Or you can buy them in from Mildenhall’s Bell Hotel, Barleycorn, Eastgate vets, Dome Leisure Centre and Beatrice Carter estate agent.
The church was dedicated to St. Mary in 1220 and is renown for its magnificent angel roof. Its north porch is one of the largest in Suffolk and the north door dates from 1420.