Man sentenced for stalking ex partner in Stowmarket

Bury Magistrates Court ENGANL00120121025093615
Bury Magistrates Court ENGANL00120121025093615
Have your say

A man has received a 15 week suspended sentence for stalking his former girlfriend and her new partner in Stowmarket.

Daniel Wayne Green, 28, of Nacton Road, Ipswich, was also handed an indefinite restraining order not to contact the couple or go to their address on St Edmunds Road at his sentencing on Monday.

Green was found guilty of stalking Sylvanna Magahy and her boyfriend Andrew Booth after a trial at Bury Magistrates’ Court on November 10.

At Monday’s sentencing, prosecutor Carol Huston told the court that Green was first given a restraining order five years ago after breaching a non-molestation order.

She said he had spent two separate stretches in prison for breaching restraining orders.

She said: It is quite clear there has been a long history and there has been a long string of incidents involving Sylvanna Magahy and Andrew Booth.”

Mrs Huston said from September 1 to September 25 this year, Green had been spotted driving past the couple’s home multiple times, sitting outside the property and staring at the house.

Mrs Huston said: “The couple have felt on edge due to incidents of him driving up and down outside the house.

“They say they see him drive past the house at least six times one day and later just sitting there stationary watching the address.

“If you are driving past the house, sitting outside the house just watching, it makes the people in the house frightened - and they have every reason to be frightened.”

Mrs Huston said Green had also offered cash and cannabis to people if they helped to get Mr Booth out of the house so he could beat him up.

She said Green had also told someone he wanted to get hold of a gun and do a drive-by shooting to ‘get’ Mr Booth.

In mitigation, Roger Brice said Green had already spent 13 weeks in custody waiting for his trial to be heard and that Green’s actions towards the couple posed ‘no overt threat’.

Presiding magistrate Robin Howe sentenced Green to 15 weeks in prison, suspended for two years, with an indefinite restraining order not to contact the couple or go to their address.

He was ordered to pay costs of £200 and a victim surcharge of £80.