Man fined for running over show steward at Nowton park event in Bury St Edmunds

Bury Magistrates Court ENGANL00120121025093615
Bury Magistrates Court ENGANL00120121025093615
Have your say

A father-of-four has been fined for driving over the arm of a steward at Nowton Park’s Cars on the Green and Bury Motor Show event.

Luke John Sigley, 31, of Ashwell Road, Bury St Edmunds, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Prosecuting, Wayne Ablett said on June 15 Sigley was trying to exit the park in his Citroen Berlingo.

Mr Ablett said steward Jonathan Bear was working at an event that was taking place at Nowton Park, helping vehicles to leave the site.
To avoid causing traffic problems, cars were being told that they must turn left only when Sigley approached in his van.

Mr Ablett told the court Sigley had said to Mr Bear: “I live to the right, I am turning right and there’s nothing you can do.”

“As he drove off he caught Mr Bear’s jacket button which pulled Mr Bear along a short distance into the road,” said 
Mr Ablett.

“He lost his balance and fell into the road with his arms outstretched.

“When he fell to the floor, Mr Sigley kept driving and the rear side wheel went over Mr Bear’s arm.

“Mr Bear said his face was very close to the wheel - so close it dislodged his glasses and broke the frame.”

Mr Ablett told the court it wasn’t until paramedics took off Mr Bear’s jacket that they realised the extent of his injuries and he was rushed to the nearby West Suffolk Hospital.

Although Mr Bear did not break any bones, he suffered serious bruising and soft tissue damage to his arm and is still receiving medical treatment.

Defending himself, Sigley said he felt there were discrepancies in Mr Bear’s story of what happened that day and that Mr Bear had run up to his car and made a grab for him.

He said he was shocked at how badly injured Mr Bear had been from the incident.

Presiding magistrate Marion De Bass fined Sigley £260, endorsed his licence with eight penalty points, ordered him to pay costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £28.