Home   News   Article

Life-saving Bury St Edmunds restaurant manager to switch on town's Christmas lights on November 14




Bury St Edmunds restaurant manager Daniel Challenor, who saved a customer's life on his first day at work, will switch on the town's Christmas lights.

Daniel, who works at Wagamama, gave CPR to Trevor Boughton after he suffered a cardiac arrest last July. Mr Boughton went onto make a full recovery.

He will switch on the lights on November 14 and in recent years the honour has been given to a ‘local hero’ - someone who is an inspiration to others or has given great service to the town.

Daniel Challenor with Trevor Boughton and daughter Sarah Woodvine and son Paul Boughton. Picture: Mark Westley
Daniel Challenor with Trevor Boughton and daughter Sarah Woodvine and son Paul Boughton. Picture: Mark Westley

The Our Bury St Edmunds Christmas Lights Switch On event runs from 3pm.

There will be a packed programme of street and stage entertainment and festive fund-raising stalls for charities, with the highlight of the evening at 7pm when Daniel, watched by Father Christmas, flicks the switch.

Entertainment will then continue until 8pm.

Bury St Edmunds Christmas lights switch-on. Picture: Mark Westley
Bury St Edmunds Christmas lights switch-on. Picture: Mark Westley

The event is one of the annual events run by the Business Improvement District (BID) organisation Our Bury St Edmunds.

Chief Executive Mark Cordell said: "In the last few years we have chosen someone who is an inspiration to others, with a strong connection to Bury St Edmunds to switch on the lights.

"When we heard that a staff member from one of our BID businesses had saved a life in this way, we knew that we wouldn’t find a better Local Hero this year.

"We will be making a donation to the East Anglian Air Ambulance, which is Daniel’s chosen charity, to thank him.”

Daniel added: "It’s an honour to be invited to switch on the Christmas lights and I’m really looking forward to the evening which should be a lot of fun and a really busy night for the town centre."

Mr Cordell added: "While being invited to switch on the lights is a fun result of Daniel’s actions it really does show that training in CPR is so valuable for everyone.

"Our Bury St Edmunds runs a number of first aid training courses through the year that are free for staff from our member businesses. I hope this will also remind people who might be wondering if they should give up a day to attend training like this, why it’s such a worthwhile thing to do."

For more information visit www.ourburystedmunds.com


More by this author



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More