Home   News   Article

Inquest: 26-year-old Colin Currie died in hospital after collapsing near West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds

By Newsdesk Bury

A man who believed he was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ had been abusing drugs since the age of 14, an inquest has heard.

Musician Colin Currie, 26, from Bury St Edmunds died in hospital after collapsing near the town's college.

Emergency services were alerted after a member of the public saw Mr Currie fall to the ground in an area known as The Dip close to the West Suffolk College on August 22, 2017.

The corroner recorded an open conclusion (10908202)
The corroner recorded an open conclusion (10908202)

The inquest heard that Mr Currie was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital where an examination revealed that he had sustained head injuries and he died three days later from a brain bleed.

Mr Currie, who had admitted to self-medicating using illegal drugs, had previously had repeated episodes when he stated he believed he was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ and had been told to kill people.

The inquest at Suffolk Coroners Court in Ipswich heard that Mr Currie had been admitted to a psychiatric unit at the West Suffolk Hospital on six occasions since November 2012.

Consultant Psychiatrist Dr Albert Michael said it emerged soon after Mr Currie's first hospital admission that he had used amphetamines and cannabis and drank heavily.

Mr Currie's first hospital admission followed him being detained in Bury St Edmunds town centre while armed with a golf club.

Each time Mr Currie ended up in hospital his symptoms appeared to be more severe and he became more violent, said Dr Michael.

Mr Currie, who had achieved high academic standards, was a good communicator and when not under the influence of drugs understood the source of his issues.

Dr Michael said: "He knew that it was drugs that were making him unwell. From time

to time he made plans to pursue his studies."

During each time he was detained in hospital, Mr Currie's condition had improved and because of that it was not possible to insist that he remain in psychiatric care, said Dr Michael.

Dr Peter Neil of the Swan Surgery in Bury St Edmunds who was Mr Currie's GP for the four years before his death, said Mr Currie had been diagnosed by mental health professionals with a number of conditions, with some of the diagnoses later being rescinded.

The conditions had, a various times, included drug induced psychosis, paranoid schizophrenia and ADHD.

Mr Currie had been detained by police on July 17, 2017 after assaulting his mother and attempting to strangle a man at a cash point. Those incidents had led to Mr Currie being sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Initially Mr Currie was detained at a secure mental health unit in Ipswich run by Norwich and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust and kept away from other patients because of his violent behaviour and psychosis.

When Mr Currie was released, he was unable to go back to his mother's home in Bury St Edmunds as she said she feared for her safety. Temporary accommodation for Mr Currie was found at a homeless shelter in Ipswich.

Mr Currie's mother, Bernadine Scott-Currie, described her son to the inquest as sensitive, who loved writing and playing music and who was a champion of the underdog.

As he grew older, Colin had found life increasingly difficult and had problems sleeping.

The inquest heard that when police arrived and found Mr Currie collapsed at The Dip, it was initially thought that he may have been the victim of a robbery, although any third party involvement was later ruled out.

The inquest continues.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More