How the Eastern region and West Suffolk voted in the European elections
The Brexit Party topped the polls in the Eastern region in the European elections and the Liberal Democrats made gains.
The region elected three Brexit Party MEPs, two Liberal Democrats, one Green and one Conservative.
In 2014, the Conservatives won three, UKIP three and Labour one.
The vote shares for the region were:
- Change UK The Independent Group: 58,274 votes (3.65%)
- Conservative and Unionist Party: 163,830 votes (10.25%)
- English Democrats: 10,217 votes (0.64%)
- Green Party: 202,460 votes (12.67%)
- Labour Party: 139,490 votes (8.73%)
- Liberal Democrats: 361,563 votes (22.62%)
- The Brexit Party: 604,715 votes (37.83%)
- UK Independence Party (UKIP): 54,676 votes (3.42%)
- Independent (Attila Csordas): 3,230 votes (0.20%)
The elected MEPs for the Eastern region are:
- Richard Tice, Brexit Party
- Michael Heaver, Brexit Party
- June Mummery, Brexit Party
- Barbara Gibson, Liberal Democrat
- Lucy Nethsingha, Liberal Democrat
- Catherine Rowett, Green
- Geoffrey Van Orden, Conservative
West Suffolk's vote shares were:
- Change UK The Independent Group: 1760
- Conservative and Unionist Party: 5255
- English Democrats: 367
- Green Party: 5807
- Labour Party: 2748
- Liberal Democrats: 7464
- The Brexit Party: 16472
- UK Independence Party (UKIP): 1502
- Independent (Attila Csordas): 111
Christina Birt, group lead Open Britain Bury St Edmunds, leading the campaign locally for a People’s Vote, said: "The European election results both locally and nationally show a huge surge in support for Lib Dems and Greens, the two firmly pro People’s Vote parties.
“A change in Prime Minister will not change the political reality – there is no majority for any form of Brexit in either the Parliament or the country.
"The only way to solve the Brexit crisis is to give the public the final say in a People’s Vote on the Brexit deal.
“We hope our local MPs Jo Churchill and Matt Hancock will see that the only democratic way forward is to put Brexit back to the people for the final say in a confirmatory referendum."