These headlines appeared in the Bury Free Press on this week in years gone by.
10 years ago:
Two wallabies at Giffords Hall, in Hartest, had caused a sensation among visitors by producing their first offspring, Joey. John Kemp, owner of Giffords Hall, acquired Joey’s parents, Bruce and Sheila, after discovering that wallabies were not difficult to breed in this country as they came from the cooler regions of Australia, in the Blue Mountains. A third wallaby, Edna, was also thought to be pregnant but Mr Kemp was still waiting to spot that new arrival.
25 years ago:
Parishioners in Haughley voted overwhelmingly in favour of reusing plots in their churchyard, signifying a first stage victory in a long-running battle with the parish council. The Parochial Church Council wanted to close the churchyard, which was becoming full, and pass the responsibility of burials on to the parish council. But the parish council wanted plots to be reused, rather than provide a new burial plot at a potential cost of thousands of pounds. Only five of 50 people voted against reburial at the annual parish council meeting.
50 years ago:
Workmen excavating a site for Mann Egerton in Fornham Road, Bury St Edmunds, had found the remains of around 20 bodies. It was thought the site, located opposite the former St Saviour’s Hospital - founded in 1184, had been the hospital’s burial ground.