Teenager attacked in Bury St Edmunds alleyway 'thought he was going to die' as gang beat him around head
A teenager was left fearing for his life after he was attacked by a gang of boys in a Bury St Edmunds alleyway at the weekend.
The boy, who celebrated his 13th birthday last month, was set upon near the St Olaves precinct on the Howard estate at around 5pm on Sunday.
The gang were stopped by passersby, who cared for the victim and called emergency services.
A woman, who stayed with the victim and contacted his family, said the youngster was found ‘semi-conscious’after having been ‘kicked repeatedly in the head’ by five boys of a similar age who are believed to have been known to the victim.
He was taken by ambulance to West Suffolk Hospital for treatment.
The victim’s grandmother, who is not being named in order to protect the identity of the boy, said she was ‘horrified’ when she was told of what had happened.
“The woman who cared for him afterwards said she had to hunt through his phone to find my number because he was so out of it he couldn’t tell her anything,” she said.
“When I saw him in the hospital I was so gutted. His face was black and swollen. It was terrible.
“My grandson could have been killed and something has to be done about that. These people are obviously dangerous and certainly need to be punished.”
It is thought that the boy suffered a fracture to his nose but the family have been told that further tests will be carried out once the swelling on his face has gone down.
“The bruising is starting to go away so he’s come out of it much better than I thought he would,” said his grandmother.
“I dread to think what could have happened if the gang hadn’t been stopped. I shall never be able to thank the people who helped my grandson enough. They told me that if they hadn’t stopped it, it would be much, much worse.”
She added that her grandson, who had been staying with her in the town during the coronavirus pandemic while his dad was at work, was ‘mentally scarred’ by the incident.
“When his dad and I went to the hospital, he said that he had thought he was going to die while they were attacking him,” she said.
“They had threatened to stab him and he just thought he wasn’t going to come back from it. For a 13-year- old to think that is terrible. It doesn’t bear thinking about.”
A Suffolk Police spokesman asked anyone with information to call 101 quoting reference 37/32779/20.
More by this authorRhoda Morrison
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)