Founder of Bury St Edmunds Friends of Compiegne twinning group dies aged 91
A strong advocate for maintaining Bury’s traditional character and one of the founders of its twinning with Compiegne, Dan Lacy Scott, has died aged 91.
Mrs Lacy Scott was a talented artist and lived in the centre of Bury St Edmunds for the past 30 years.
She died on October 11 at West Suffolk Hospital after a brief illness.
A practising catholic all her life her funeral is on Tuesday at St Edmund’s Catholic Church, Westgate Street at 2.30pm.
Dan was christened Marian but was always known as Dan. She was born in Eastbourne on March 2 1925 to Francis and Louise Wise and grew up in Canterbury and Ashford attending the Marist Convent in Hythe and Ashford School.
In 1943 Dan married John Lacy Scott, the grandson of the founder of Lacy Scott & Sons, chartered surveyors, estate agents and auctioneers.
The couple’s first home was in Northgate Street and later they moved to Little Whelnetham.
Dan is described by her family as ‘vivacious with a lively sense of humour’.
She was a strong individual and never one to take things lying down. Over the years she had many letters published in the Bury Free Press on a wide variety of topics.
Dan studied fashion at Canterbury Art College and took up oil painting when John died in 1994.
A long time member of the Bury Arts Society she exhibited her paintings at Bury Art Gallery and won a national prize in 1993.
She took a major role in setting up the Friends of Compiegne Twinning group in 1967 and helped organise many of its events. She also worked tirelessly for Bury St Edmunds and District Cancer Research fund-raising committee.
Dan leaves six children, 12 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.