A woman who died after a flat fire in Bury St Edmunds has been described by a friend as ‘truly a lovely lady’.
Katherine Mary Douglas, 55, had to be rescued by firefighters from her flat in Langton Place on Monday night last week.
Paramedics together with a Suffolk Accident Rescue Service (SARS) doctor restarted her heart which had stopped due to the amount of smoke she had breathed in.
But Ms Douglas died at West Suffolk Hospital the following day.
Fire investigators found cigarettes, a lighter and ashtray by the seat of the fire.
Brenda Stonehouse, from the Howard estate, had worked as a cleaner for Ms Douglas for a year, first at her home in Northgate Street, then in Langton Place.
“She was truly a lovely lady. We had just begun to socialise. She was a friend.
“She was getting divorced. She trusted me with everything,” Brenda said.
“She wanted to hear about my daughter’s prom.
“She said we would be friends for life. Then this happened. It was quite a shock.”