AN PASSER by who spotted smoke coming from a thatched cottage in Ringshall possibly saved the building and its occupants.
More than 30 firefighters battled the thatch blaze in Ringshall on Friday night and managed to prevent the fire from spreading and causing more damage.
Crews from Needham Market, Stowmarket, Hadleigh, Elmswell, Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth were called to the building in Wattisham Road with the incident headed up by Michael Peck from Needham Market,
Watch manager for Stowmarket Russell Punchard said that Needham and Stowmarket crews used ladders to strip off the thatch around the chimney where the fire was while other crews got into the loft and removed thatch at the back of the building.
He said: “The lady and her son were in the property and somebody went past and saw smoke coming from the roof. If it had developed you would be looking at a far more serious incident.
“The early warning meant we were able to put enough resources on the road to have an effect.”
It is thought that radiated heat from the fire started the blaze.