Firecrews search pub for owners

fire at the metcalfe arms in lawshall
fire at the metcalfe arms in lawshall
Have your say

FIRE crews wore breathing apparatus to search a smoke-filled pub because it was thought a family were still inside yesterday.

But landlady Sarah Sadler and her mother Amanda Sadler had left the Metcalfe Arms, in Lawshall Road, Hawstead, to go to collect some things Sarah was moving into the pub.

Amanda said: “My daughter is pregnant, so it’s quite lucky we weren’t here.”

She said the fire in the roof was thought to have been caused by an electrical fault but it had left upper rooms of the family owned 17th century pub waterlogged with water dripping into the bars.

Amanda added: “We certainly won’t be open for business this evening. It’s too early to say what damage has been done.”

Three fire appliances and a turntable ladder from Bury St Edmunds were joined by a command unit from Ixworth and pumps from Elsmwell and Wickhambrook.

Four firecrew using breathing apparatus searched the building but were withdrawn when it was realised nobody was in there.

The crews used the turntable ladder to strip away roof tiles to locate the seat of the fire and the power to the pub was shut off by UK Power Networks.