Fire crews tackle house fire in Wickhambrook

Have your say

Firefighters tackled a fire at a detached house in Wickhambrook last night where a 66-year-old man was treated for inhaling smoke.

Crews from Wickhambrook and Bury St Edmunds arrived at the scene, at Ashfield Green, at around 7.45pm after a member of the public called 999.

At 8pm crews from Haverhill and Ixworth arrived to help tackle the fire.

Paul Jolland, from Wickhambrook Fire Station, was one of the first to arrive at the scene.

He said: “When we got there the gable end of the house was well alight.

“It was our drill night so we were at the fire station at the time - we were there within five minutes of getting the call.

“We think the fire started in a spin dryer in the kitchen, it then spread up the wall to the bedroom above and onto the roof.

“We used four breathing apparatus, four pumps and a couple of of jet hose reels.”

Firefighters managed to stop the spread of the fire by creating a break in the roof by removing tiles.

They used a thermal imaging camera to locate hotspots.

The fire was under control by 10.15pm.

A 66-year-old man was given oxygen at the scene and and ambulance was called although he did not need any further treatment.