Fire crews’ quick action saves thatched house in Bacton
Quick action by fire crews stopped a thatch fire spreading to the whole roof yesterday.
When the first crews arrived at the fire in Bacton they found visible flames coming from around the chimney-stack and roof ridge.
A Suffolk Fire Services spokesman said: “A timely decision was made to adopt offensive fire-fighting tactics and pitch ladders to fight the fire externally.
“A second crew, simultaneously, fought the fire from inside the roof space. The tactics proved effective and the hard work, from the outset, paid-off. This excellent work by all crews involved prevented the fire from spreading.”
The crews were from Elmswell, Ixworth, Stowmarket, Eye and Debenham, Bury, Ixworth.
A Suffolk Fire Service leaflet on thatch fire prevention and safety can be downloaded by clicking here or call 01473 260588.