Fire crews extinguish chimney fire in Hopton and release prevention guidance.

Have your say

Fire crews have extinguished a chimney fire in Hopton this morning.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to the fire in a thatched property, in Nethergate Street, at 9.13 this morning.

Crews from Ixworth, Ipswich East, Bury St Edmunds, Thetford and Elmswell used thermal imaging cameras to check the chimney, set up covering jets and used a turntable ladder to remove the chimney pot.

The fire was under control by 10.50am.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service extinguished two further chimney fires in Bardwell and Beck Row on Saturday and have released the following prevention guidance:

Chimneys must be swept regularly, at least once a year, particularly if you regularly burn wood on the fire.

Flues to woodburners must also be regularly inspected to ensure heat cannot pass through to a combustible beam or roof structure.

Always keep a fire guard in front of a burning fire.

Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.

Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire.