Fire at veterinary surgery in Hawkedon

editorial image
Have your say

Fire crews have tackled a barn fire at a veterinary practice in Hawkedon today.

Seven fire engines and around 30 firefighters attended the scene on Rede Road after being called at around 11.45am.

Although there were no animals in the barn at the time, staff at the surgery moved other animals, including two horses, away from the billowing smoke.

At the scene, Group Commander Ali Moseley said the fire service deployed multiple crews as there was concern the building contained hazardous materials.

He said: “We had been called to a vehicle fire that had spread to a barn.

“We were led to believe that there were hazardous materials involved in the fire so modelled our response to that situation.

“The building involved is used as a stable block as part of a veterinary surgery and also a store for pharmaceutical products.
“Staff had moved the animals to safety.

“We have controlled the fire which was on the ground and first floor of the two storey barn.”