Decision on access road to new Ixworth homes development is deferred
No decision has been made over plans for an access road to serve a new Ixworth housing development, after councillors voted to defer on Wednesday.
Members of West Suffolk Council's development control committee raised a number of concerns over plans for an access road to serve 77 proposed dwellings on land off Crown Lane.
A previous proposal, by Persimmon Homes, was refused by the committee in January. In the new scheme part of the proposed road has been moved to prevent it encroaching on a tree belt which runs along the A143 side of the land.
Planning officers recommended the scheme for approval.
Ben Lord, Ixworth Parish Council chairman, said: "The applicant has done the absolute bare minimum.
"It would seem short-sighted to approve this application without sight of the plan for the whole site."
He was also critical of a previously approved A1088 ghost junction for the development, adding he did not want to see Ixworth become an accident blackspot.
Persimmon says it will fund a traffic regulation order to reduce the speed limit along the A1088.
Councillors raised concerns about collapsible bollards proposed for Walsham Road, along with potential damage to the tree belt,
Cllr John Burns said: "I'm in two minds about this. I think we need to block off Walsham Road permanently."
Cllr Susan Glossop said she wanted to know how closely the construction work would be monitored with regard to the tree belt.
"Once trees are gone you can't put them back," she said.
Cllr Peter Stevens said: "This boils down to the frustration of not having a complete masterplan (for whole site) and the fear trees will suffer, down to the close proximity of this scheme."
Cllr Jason Crooks said: "I feel that I am looking at this application blind because we don't have a masterplan. It's hard to understand this spine road without the full plan."
Councillors voted unanimously to defer, to allow for liaison with the landowner over plans for the northern parcel of land.