Man in court charged with murder in Bury St Edmunds

Police corden on Ashwell Road in Bury, where a man was found dead last night.
Police corden on Ashwell Road in Bury, where a man was found dead last night.
Have your say

A MAN has been charged with murder following the death of a 42-year-old man in Bury St Edmunds.

Mark Turner, 48, of Green Lane, Cockfield, was due to appear at Ipswich Crown Court yesterday afternoon charged with the murder of Robin Lionnet, of Ashwell Road, Bury.

Police were called to an incident in Ashwell Road early on Tuesday when Mr Lionnet was discovered collapsed and taken to West Suffolk Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A post-mortem examination on Tuesday showed he had died of a stab wound.

Turner appeared for a preliminary hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday afternoon charged with the murder of Robin Lionnet, 42, from Ashwell Road.

Andrew Shaw, representing Turner, told the court that no plea was being indicated at this stage. No application for bail was made.

Judge John Devaux told Turner that he would be remanded in custody until he returns to court on May 4 for a plea and case management hearing.

Back in Bury, an acquaintance of Mr Lionnet, Rob Davies, said: “It is very sad to hear of his death.

“I will miss him. He was a nice guy.

“He was a very quiet man but I used to chat to him on the bus. He was a vulnerable guy.”

A friend, who did not want to be named, said that Mr Lionnet kept himself to himself but was ‘one of the faces’ of the street.

She said: “He was a nice bloke and not a bother to anybody. I have known him for years, he was a nice guy – he was just Robin.

“He was one of the faces around here.

“We went down there earlier on to lay some flowers, the police have put them in front of his door.

“He did tend to keep himself to himself though. It is really sad that he has gone, it was such a shock to hear about it.”

Artist Elizabeth Oakley, who lives opposite, said although the area had faced its problems, it was generally a quiet part of town.

She said: “We’ve been here for about 11 years – it is quite quiet around here normally.

“It is quiet if not silent most of the time.

“There are groups of kids and things who make a bit of noise some nights but that doesn’t happen like it used to.

“It’s pretty grim what has happened. It is a real tragedy.”

A cordon remained in place in Ashwell Road while officers continued their investigation, although the road was re-opened.