Man banned from public buses after sex assault

Have your say

A MAN has been banned from travelling on public buses in Suffolk after sexually touching a 17-year-old girl and throwing a shoe at her.

Richard Andrew Florian, 35, of no fixed address, was ‘incredibly drunk’ when he tried to cuddle and kiss the girl on a bus ride between Bury St Edmunds and Barrow, Bury Magistrates’ Court heard.

He admitted sexual assault on a female and assault by beating.

Prosecuting, Anita Addison, said the victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was sitting alone on the bus on October 12.

A group of men and woman boarded the bus in Bury and at the next stop Florian got on and joined the group.

Ms Addison said: “The victim states he was clearly drunk and had trouble standing. The group called this man ‘Ricky’.

“He sat next to the victim on three occasions and tried to cuddle and kiss her by placing both arms around her body and trying to kiss her face. She made it clear she didn’t want that attention.”

On the last occasion she pushed him and he fell to the floor.

Florian then took off his shoe and threw it at the victim, hitting her in the chest.

In a statement read out to the court, the victim said she has felt ‘scared and intimidated’ since the incident and had had to change her routine.

Ms Addison added: “She says ‘I hate feeling like I’ve lost my freedom. I just want to go where I want and not worry about who is around the corner’.”

Paul Booty, in mitigation, said Florian had ‘expressed remorse’ about the incident.

He added: “When he got on the bus he was incredibly drunk. He has an alcohol dependency, which has come about in substitution for drugs for which he has a long history. The alcohol really needs to be addressed.”

Florian was given a community order with 12 months supervision and a six month alcohol treatment requirement. He was also made subject of an exclusion order not to travel on any public buses in Suffolk for 12 months.

He is also on the sex offenders’ register for five years and was ordered to pay £200 in compensation to the victim.