Jail for hit-and-run driver who ploughed into two pedestrians

Anton Giles, jailed after Kings Road accident in Bury St Edmunds
Anton Giles, jailed after Kings Road accident in Bury St Edmunds
Have your say

A MAN who mowed down two pedestrians while drunk at the wheel of his car has been jailed.

Anton Giles, 23, went on to assault an 82-year-old man who was trying to help after the crash.

Giles, formerly of Queen’s Road, Bury St Edmunds, now of Old Norwich Road, Ipswich, was jailed for 20 months on Monday at Ipswich Crown Court.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp told the court how one of the two victims, a woman in her mid 60s, suffered injuries so severe it resulted in one of her legs having to be amputated.

On January 8, at mid-afternoon Giles had been drinking heavily at his home on Queen’s Road.

He had attempted to leave the house in his black SmartFour car but his friends managed to grab the ignition keys, said Mr Crimp.

He later told them he was only moving the car, so they returned his keys. He seized the opportunity and sped off with the tyres and engine screaming, but moments later there was a loud bang as the car failed to navigate the bend in the road at Albert Crescent and Giles crashed into two pedestrians and a fence on King’s Road.

A man and a woman in their 60s were knocked down and the woman’s legs were trapped under the fencing.

Mr Crimp said 82-year-old John Darby, who lived opposite the scene, rushed to help. As Mr Darby tried to help Giles off the fencing he was punched in the face. When police arrived Giles had fled but was later apprehended at his home.

Giles refused to provide a specimen of breath claiming he had only drunk alcohol after the crash.

At an earlier hearing, Giles pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident, failing to give a specimen of breath and assault.

Appearing for Giles, Hugh Vass said his client suffered nightmares about what happened and had expressed genuine remorse.

Judge David Goodin said: “This was as atrocious a case of dangerous driving as one can expect to see.”

Giles was jailed for 16 months for dangerous driving and a further four months for assault.

Sentences of four months each for failing to stop after an accident and failing to give a specimen of breath would run concurrently. Giles was disqualified from driving for four years and must take an extended driving test before being allowed his licence.