TWO plumbers who put people’s lives at risk by illegally working on a domestic gas appliance have been sentenced.
Last Thursday at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court, Paul Fromet, from Cheshunt, and Michael Wright, from Waltham Cross, admitted breaching a gas safety regulation.
They were asked to fit a boiler in a house in Hargrave Road, Chevington, that was due to be rented out by the landlord but they were not registered with Gas Safe, the compulsory registration scheme for gas engineers.
The court heard that an investigation had found the boiler, which had not been adjusted to run on the gas which supplied the property, was producing exceptionally high levels of carbon monoxide – more than 200 times the manufacturers’ specification.
They received a two-year conditional discharge and were ordered to pay costs of £250 each.