A BURY St Edmunds construction and building firm has been fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £4,026 in costs after a worker’s finger and thumb were amputated by a moulding machine.
David Head, 24, a bench joiner of Rubens Walk, Sudbury, was shaping a piece of timber at the G J Bream & Son Ltd joinery workshop in Chevington on June 10 last year, when it caught in the cutter and dragged his left hand into the blades.
Bury St Edmunds Magistrates’ Court heard that Mr Head will only be able to regain half the use of his finger and thumb after reconstructive plastic surgeons at Addenbrooke’s Hospital were only able to re-attach the thumb and finger.
G J Bream & Son admitted breaching Section Two of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. A Health and Safety Executive investigation found the company was not using the correct work holders to keep workers’ hands clear of the cutting machinery.
Inspectors also found the company had not assessed the risks associated with this task properly, nor did it supervise or train staff properly for work with dangerous machinery.
Health and Safety Executive, Ivan Brooke said: “This was an horrific incident which has left a young man with permanent damage to his left hand.”