Ban for motorcyclist saved by paramedic

editorial image
Have your say

A MOTORCYCLIST who crashed while on a high-speed journey to Cockfield was saved by an off-duty paramedic from a water filled ditch, a court was told.

John Warren, 24, of Guildhall Street, Bury St Edmunds, had recorded speeds of up to 114mph during the five mile trip on March 28 last year.

On Friday, Ipswich Crown Court heard how Warren had filmed the journey on a camera fitted to his £5,000 Yamaha motorcycle.

Near Cockfield, Warren failed to negotiate a bend and crashed into a water filled ditch, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.

Off-duty paramedic Steven Todd, who had been travelling in the same direction as Warren, saw his bike disappear from view in a cloud of dust and arrived on the scene to find water seeping into Warren’s crash helmet.

The court heard that Mr Todd managed to pull Warren, who was severely injured, from the water in a move which saved his life, and he also alerted emergency services.

Warren was taken to hospital where doctors found he had suffered life-threatening internal injuries. He spent three weeks in hospital and a further four months in a wheelchair as he recovered.

Police examined the camera on Warren’s motorcycle and were able to establish that on three occasions he had been travelling at 100mph and at one stage was doing 114mph.

Mr Crimp said that Warren, who disputed the alleged speeds, had been following a route detailed in a motorcycling magazine.

Warren, who pleaded guilty to a charge of driving without due care and attention, was banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay a £1,000 fine.

Judge Patrick O’Brien told him: “This was an absolutely appalling case of careless driving.”

Appearing for Warren, Jude Durr said: “His family have been through hell and heartache. He recognises he is very, very fortunate not have lost his life through this piece of stupidity.”

Mr Durr said that if Mr Todd had not arrived and pulled Warren from the water, it was likely that he would have suffocated.

Judge O’Brien said that in recognition of Mr Todd’s actions, he would be awarded £200 by the court.