Councillors critical of revised plans for Bury St Edmunds McDonald’s
Revised plans for a fast food outlet in Bury St Edmunds have done nothing to address residents’ concerns over the proposal, claim councillors.
An application seeking approval to build a single storey McDonald’s restaurant with associated drive thru within the existing Dragonfly Hotel site in Symonds Road was submitted in June last year.
Scores of objections were raised, many concerned about the effect of increased traffic on the nearby roads and Sainsbury’s roundabout.
A number of revised documents, including location and layout plans, have now been submitted to the borough council.
But Cllr Frank Warby said: “They’re just dressing it up again, that’s all, because of the objections. It’s still the wrong place.”
Cllr Trevor Beckwith said the changes were not significant and did nothing to alter the impact of the proposal ‘in any way’.
A supplementary transport assessment has also been submitted, but this too has been labelled ‘flawed’.
Cllr Warby has taken issue with traffic surveys carried out on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.
“They’re not peak times are they?” he said.
Cllr Beckwith said traffic counts used for the Moreton Hall interchange (junction 44 of the A14) were sourced from 2011 data which hid the severity of the problem, with it now ‘at capacity’ at peak times.