Confrontation between Bury St Edmunds siblings lands one brother behind bars

Court report
Court report
Have your say

A confrontation between two Bury st Edmunds brothers has resulted in one of them being jailed for 16 months.

Kayne Nicholls, 20, armed himself with a kitchen knife and a pool cue during the incident outside their mother’s home in Wordsworth Road, Bury, last year.

Nicholls, of Ashwell Road, Bury, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to two offences of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and breach of a suspended prison sentence.

The court heard how at 4.30am on May 11 last year, a neighbour saw Nicholls banging on the door to the house and then on a parked car with a stick before his brother, Lee, leaned out of a window and said ‘I’m sorry’.

Police were called and believed the situation had been dealt with before they left.

Emma Nicholson, prosecuting, said a short while later the same woman saw Nicholls running along the road armed with a knife - which had a seven inch blade - and a pool cue.

At about the same time the woman also saw Lee Nicholls, who was armed with a golf club.

Two passers-by were confronted by Nicholls as he was brandishing the knife and they were chased away, said Miss Nicholson.

Nicholls used the pool cue to smash a window and headlight of a parked car before police, who had been called back to the scene, arrested him. Previously he had broken a window at the house to get inside to get the knife.

When interviewed Nicholls said he had been drinking and there had been ill feeling between himself and his brother, Lee, 28.

Nicholls said: “I went mental. I flipped. I have had enough. If I hadn’t been drinking it wouldn’t have happened.

The court heard that Nicholls had six previous convictions for seven offences and was in breach of a suspended prison sentence of two weeks imposed by magistrates after he failed to comply with a community order.

In mitigation, Lindsay Cox said, since Lee Nicholls had returned to live at the family home, there had been problems between the two brothers ‘on an almost daily basis’.

Mr Cox alleged Lee Nicholls had frequently become ‘particularly abusive’ to his mother after he used alcohol to excess and used cannabis. On the day of the incident Kayne Nicholls had refused to lend money to his brother which led to abuse being directed against him too.

Mr Cox told the court: “This is alas the straw that broke the camel’s back. It is a desperately sad situation with the two brothers having fallen out in this way.”

Lee Nicholls, who Mr Cox described as the catalyst for what took place, had pleaded guilty to a single charge of possession of an offensive weapon and received a conditional discharge when he appeared before magistrates.

Sentencing Kayne Nicholls, Mr Recorder Bruce Houlder QC told him that aggravating features of the case included two passers-by being confronted as he brandished a knife.

Mr Houlder said: “The purpose of that must have been to put them in fear and cause them to back off. Goodness knows what would have happened if they hadn’t done so.”

He told Nicholls a Probation Service report had concluded he was at more than 70 per cent risk of re-offending within the next two years.

“You have a tendency to be both reckless and impulsive in your conduct,” he said.

In addition to the 16 month sentence for the two offences of possession of an offensive weapon, Mr Houlder activated the two week suspended sentence.