Chlorine alarm at Cedars Maltings

Share this article
Have your say

FIRE crews were called to a maltings in Stowmarket this morning after a chlorine alarm went off.

Crews from Stowmarket, Needham Market and Bury St Edmunds rushed to Munton’s Cedars Maltings after receiving the alarm at 9.25am.

Firefighters arrived to find no obvious chemicals spill but the area was cordoned off.

Investigations confirmed there was no immediate danger to public health and that nothing had entered the drains or the water course.

Fire crews used eight special gas tight suits while they carried out their investigation of the area.

On site monitoring equipment was used to check chlorine levels and all cylinders were closed down.

The incident was under control by 11.30am and fire crews were back at their stations by 12.51pm.