Businesses counting cost after power cut
Businesses and residents were left to cover costs of equipment and household items amounting to thousands of pounds after a power surge blew the electrics in Stanton.
UK Power Networks was carrying out electrical work at the Rose and Crown Court in Bury Road when an electrical surge saw the surrounding businesses and houses lose power.
Cathy Learl a resident said: "I got home from work and had a man who worked for Power Networks rush to the door. He asked if I'd smelt smoke or seen sparks, then he asked if he could come in to check my home, he had to take the fuse out, then I knew this wasn't a normal power cut."
Mrs Learl's fridge freezer and internet modem were both blown in the power surge leaving her to buy food daily and to replace the modem.
Keith Nicholls, owner of Links Autos Bakers Garage, said: "The surge blew up all of the garage, it killed my business, it had me out of business for days.
"It killed everything including the microwave."
Mr Nicholls has also lost earnings from the two days the power was off as well as extensive damages to the machinery of his MOT business.
Also affected were Brian and Claire Carberry, who run B J & C Carberry Haulage.
Mr Carberry said: "The electrics went out with a bang, the house filled up with smoke, we didn't have power until about 9pm."
Mr and Mrs Carberry have been told it could take up to three months to even start repairs of the equipment damaged in their business - and there's no guarantee everything will be reimbursed.
The businesses and residents said they were not warned that issues may arise while the electrical work was taking place, only told that the power may be off for a few hours.
B J & C Carberry had to close for four days and cease trade as they were without computers and other electrical equipment.
Other businesses affected included So Low Choppers motorcycle repair centre and Stanton self-serve shell garage.
UK Power Networks said: "We apologise for the inconvenience caused to 11 customers in Bury Road, Stanton who were affected by an electrical fault on the overhead network on Tuesday 19 June. Our engineers and teams of contractors attended to support customers who reported damaged appliances, to carry out safety checks and restore electricity supplies as soon as was possible."