A RESTAURANT owner fears that her business could be at risk if she is forced to take down an advertisement banner.
Karen Gooding says she has seen mid week trade shoot up since putting up the banner outside The Decanter, on Angel Hill, in Bury St Edmunds, to publicise a two-for-one meal deal.
However, she has been told to take down the notice by St Edmundsbury Borough Council following a complaint and has been advised to seek planning permission.
Miss Gooding, who opened the restaurant in September with her partner Dean McGill, said: “Our mid week trade was very slow and at times we thought we would have to close the business. As soon as we elected to put up the banner, we’ve gradually seen our trade grow. This last month we’ve done remarkably well. We’ve grown from having seven to 12 people mid week to 40 to 50 people.
“We’ve had a lot of customers say they think it’s a tasteful banner. It isn’t loud or brash.
“To be told to take it down is quite kick in the teeth. In this climate how are you supposed to survive in business if you can’t tell people what you’re doing. If my banner comes down, people are going to think I’m no longer running that particular offer.”
She added that if they went back to their previous mid week customer figures they ‘won’t be able to survive’.
Despite the authority’s call, Miss Gooding is continuing to use the banner, which is put up on Monday and removed on Thursday night.
A spokeswoman for the authority said: “We are in the early stages of investigating a complaint about the display of an unauthorised sign on a listed building in the town centre conservation area. We visited the premises, spoke to the proprietor and followed that up by letter. We are seeking a satisfactory resolution to this matter. We have received a response of the proprietors and will respond to that before considering if any further action may be necessary.”