Bury St Edmunds mum discovers mould in tin of baked beans
A mum has hit out at a supermarket after she discovered mould in a tin of baked beans she was about to serve to her children.
Michele Seeley, of Prigg Walk, Bury St Edmunds, discovered the mould on the lid and inside the tin of beans which she bought from Aldi in the town.
She was about to cook them for her three chilfdren Tahlia, six, Kyler, four, and Raya, one.
The 41-year-old contacted Aldi who offered to refund or replace the tin but she is ‘not satisfied’ with their response and says there should be an investigation.
On finding the mould in the tin, she said: “It’s disgusting - I was really shocked and wondered what on earth it was.
“I was more worried for my children. If I had done it in a hurry they would have eaten it.
“An elderly person or someone who can’t see could have heated it, eaten it and could have been seriously ill.”
The expiry date on the tin is June 2016.
An Aldi spokesman said every complaint they receive is ‘taken very seriously’ and apologised to Miss Seeley.
He said: “Fortunately, occurrences such as this are incredibly rare and as explained by a member of the Customer Services team, it may have been caused by a breach in the packaging allowing air to enter.”
He said they had asked Miss Seeley to provide the item’s batch and bar code to ensure it is an ‘isolated incident’.